Monday 4 April 2011

Salted Caramel Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky Toffee Pudding is my favourite dessert. EVER.

I cannot resist ordering it from the menu and I always make it when we have people over for dinner.


I always make Nigella's Sticky Toffee Pudding as it never fails me (apart from one occasion which resulted in sticky toffee pudding on the kitchen ceiling but we won't go there...)

I decided to try this variation for a change which I found in a copy of the "You" magazine supplement a while ago.

For the Sponge:-

150g of pitted dates chopped

250ml water

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

75g unsalted butter diced

125g light muscovado sugar

2 medium eggs

2 tbsp golden syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract

200g plain flour sifted

For the Salted Caramel sauce:-

100g light muscovado sugar

1/2 tsp fine sea salt

100g unsalted butter

150ml double cream

Method:-

1. Pre-heat over to 190 degree centigrade / 170 degree fahrenheit / GM 5. Butter a baking tin measuring 27cm - 30cm x 18cm - 20cm.

2. Bring the dates and water to the boil in a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will froth up.

3. Cream the butter and sugar together and then add the eggs one at a time, then the syrup and then the vanilla and then the flour. The beat in the date mixture in two batches.

4. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until set and the pudding has risen.

5. While baking, put all the sauce ingredients into a pan to melt and whisk together until smoot. Pour half the mixture onto the pudding and serve the rest separately with double cream.


10/10 for this recipe!

Adding salt to the caramel sauce gave it another dimension.

I made it for Mr G and my Mum for Mother's Day and they both loved it too.

Nxx

1 comment:

  1. I have to ask, how did it end up on the ceiling? I love sticky date pudding, I cant wait for the weather here to get a little cooler, its the perfect dessert for a cold night. I look forward to trying this version, the cake/pudding part looks wonderfully golden.

    ReplyDelete