This recipe is perfect for that.
The recipe was given to me by a former work colleague.
4oz unsalted butter
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz self raising flour (sifted)
2 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 fl. oz milk
1. Grease an 8inch pan and pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Cream the butter and then add the sugar and vanilla. Beat in the egg.
3. Mash the bananas and add to the creamed butter mixture.
4. Fold in the sifted flour.
5. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the milk and add to the mixture. Stir in gently.
6. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 40 minutes.
4oz light brown sugar
4 oz unsalted butter
1. Melt butter in pan together with the sugar
2. when the sugar is dissolved, stir in the cream.
3. Serve immediately.
I had used a 9 inch cake tin so the cake was a little flat but it still tasted lovely.