Saturday 12 June 2010

Birthday Cupcakes











It was my friend Sabrina's birthday this weekend. I don't see her that often as she now lives in the Big Smoke but she managed to come home for her birthday. I decided to make her some birthday cupcakes but because of the warm weather, I didn't want to decorate them with buttercream frosting. I decided to play around with fondant and decided to make pieces of birthday cake out of the fondant to top the chocolate cupcakes with. They were inspired by some tea party cupcakes I had seen in Selfridges by Fiona Cairns. It was surprisingly easy to make. I made the cake using teddy bear brown fondant which I sandwiched between a piece of pink rolled fondant. I then covered the "cake" with white fondant and cut into slices. I kept the decoration on the cake simple with some pink fondant. I stuck the pieces of cake onto white fondant discs which I had painted with edible glitter. I was pleased with the end results. I decorated a few of the cupcakes with the sprinkles I had made.

1 comment:

  1. Wow these are absolutely gorgeous! I am loving the slices of cake made out of fondant.

    ReplyDelete