Sunday 27 June 2010

Burger Cupcakes




























































I have been wanting to make these cupcakes for ages and didn't really have an occasion to make them. My cousin's birthday seemed like an ideal opportunity! They were actually a lot easier than I thought. You start with good old vanilla cupcakes. And a tray of brownies. (Confession - I didn't make my brownies from scratch. I used a Betty Crocker mix for two reasons:- (1) I was short of time and (2) I haven't found the perfect brownie recipe as yet. Once the brownies had cooled, I cut out circles using a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Then I made a batch of vanilla frosting which I then separated out into three separate bowls. I then used gel colours to tint the frosting - red for the "ketchup", yellow for the "mustard" and green for the "lettuce". I then set about assembling the burgers. I cut the cupcakes in half and placed the brownie pieces on the bottom half. I then piped a layer of red frosting followed by a layer of yellow frosting to look like the ketchup and mustard. For the lettuce, I piped the green frosting in a more squiggly fashion to look like lettuce leaves. I then placed the top of the cupcakes on top of the frosting and then finished the look by placing a few sesame seeds on the top of the cupcakes. I was so proud of these. Unfortunately, my crowning glory did not last. On route, Mr G dropped the container carrying the cupcakes. Not one of these little beauties could be salvaged. Needless to say I did not take any photos. It was all too raw at the time. I have to say that Mr G made up for the 'burger incident' the following day but more on that later. At least I have my memories. And these photos. Sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment