3 1/2 cups of plain flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda (yes 1 tablespoon!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup / 4 oz unsalted butter (at room temp)
2 cups caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk (at room temp)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit / 200 degrees celsius / Gas Mark 6. Line to baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Leave to one side.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs and buttermilk and vanilla and beat until well combined. (NOTE: at this point my mixture curdled. I think the buttermilk was too cold or something. If this happens, don't panic- once you add the dry ingredients, the mixture will come together.)
4. On a low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
5. Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter onto the baking sheets spacing two inches apart.
6. Bake for about 8 minutes turning baking sheet around half way through. (NOTE: the pies took about 10 - 11 minutes in my oven which is gas. If you are not sure, insert a toothpick into the centre of the pies- it will come out clean when they are done.)
7. Leave to cool completely on wire rack.
Just out of the oven! My tops cracked - there must be some secret way of getting the tops of the pies smooth- I will have to investigate further!