I tried my hand at gluten free whoopies this weekend. I got the recipe from "Whoopie Pies" by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell.
2 1/4 cups gluten free plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum (see the free from section in Sainsbury's if you are struggling)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temp)
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespooons milk
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit / Gas Mark 6. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and xanthum gum.
3. Using an electric mixer beat together the butter, shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and buttermilk and beat until combined. (Yes, my mixture curdled again at this point- I take it that is what buttermilk is supposed to do?!)
4. In a small jug combine the milk, bicrabonate of soda and vinegar and then add to the batter along with the flour mixture. Beat on low until just combined. Add the vanilla and beat on a medium speed until well combined.
5. Using a spoon drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking sheet spacing at least two inches apart.
6. Bake one sheet at a timefor about ten minutes. Leave to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.