Friday 2 July 2010

Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes

My niece and nephew are allergic to gluten and can't eat the normal cupcakes that I make. I decided to have a go at making some gluten free alternatives.
I found a recipe on http://www.glutenfreelife.co.uk/. The recipe was pretty simple, and had limited ingredients:-
225 grams of self -raising gluten free flour (I bought plain as that was all I could get in the supermarket and it was fine)
225 grams unsalted butter
225 grams caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method:-
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit / 180 degrees centigrade / Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tine with paper cases. The recipe stated that you should get 16 cupcakes but I only got 12. Maybe my paper cases were bigger.
2. Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix with an electric mixer. When light and fluffy, pour mixture into paper cases and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
NOTE: Cooking time on my oven which is gas was 25 minutes.
The cupcakes were slightly golden on top and springy to touch.
3. Remove cupcakes from tin and leave to cool.

I wanted to frost my cupcakes and I used a simple vanilla buttercream recipe. Most icing sugars are gluten free but if in doubt check with the manufacturer. To be on the safe side, I did not colour my buttercream and when it came to adding sprinkles, none of the ones I had stated that they were gluten free so I decided to keep them plain.

I hope they like them!

1 comment: