For those of you who do not own a copy of the Humingbird Bakery Cookbook - run out and buy it now! This recipe alone is worth the cost! The brownie is rich and gooey and the addition of the chocolate cream cheese frosting makes it divine!
500 grams caster sugar
120 grams plain flour
100 grams cocoa powder
250 grams unsalted butter (melted)
30 grams shelled walnuts (chopped)
30 grams dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
200 grams icing sugar (sifted)
75 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
30 grams cocoa powder (sifted)
150 grams cream cheese, cold
1. Pre-heat oven t0 170 degrees centigrade / Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a baking tin measuring 33cm x 23cm x 5cm with greaseproof paper
2. Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add flour and cocoa powder and continue to beat until well mixed.
4. Pour in melted butter and mix through.
5. Add chopped walnuts and dark chocolate by hand.
6. Pour into baking tin and cook for about 30 - 35 minutes or until top is firm but centre is still soft. Leave to cool completely.
7. For the frosting, beat icing sugar, cocoa and butter until mixed together. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until well incorporated. Turn the mixer up to a medium - high speed. Do not overmix as the mixture will become runny.
8. Spead frosting over the cooled brownie.
I couldn't resist taking a bite out of a piece of brownie whilst taking these pictures!!
Next time I think I will leave out the chopped dark chocolate. I honestly don't think the brownie needed it. I think replacing the walnuts with hazelnuts would work really well too.